Tuesday, 5 April 2016

Finished | Vintage HST Quilt


One of the things I enjoy doing in my spare time is scouring second-hand shops for hidden treasures.  Along with the furniture gems I've uncovered, I've also had some success in collecting vintage textiles.  After accumulating a decent collection, I decided it was time to finally put those fabrics to use in a quilt!


I kept the design quite simple - HST units, pairing vintage with solid white. The blocks consist of 4 matching HSTs to unify the otherwise incoherent mix of colour and pattern.  The blocks were set on-point and I used Kona Green Tea for the setting triangles.  The green feels right at home with the vintage prints, yet is also fresh. 



I found a vintage sheet for the backing, and quilted using straight lines to complete the look.  For such a simple quilting design, there really was a ridiculous number of treads to bury (which is largely the reason why it took me so unbelievably long to complete what really is a simple quilt!)  The binding is a vintage stripe/cross-hatch/polka-dot print...not the most attractive fabric on it's own, but works quite nicely as a binding!


My favourite thing about this quilt is the fun assortment of prints and the unconventional colour combos!  Don't you think this looks like the perfect picnic quilt?  Once the weather gets a little warmer I'll have to take it out and test that theory!  

This is my third finish from my Quarter 1 list of goals for the Finish Along.


Happy Tuesday!
--Liz

8 comments:

  1. It does look like a great picnic quilt. Backing it in a vintage sheet was a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Liz, it looks lovely! You managed to make all the vintage fabrics play nicely with one another. Congratulations to the finish =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That fabric worked perfectly for the binding Liz. I'm impressed with how well you got the different fabrics to work together. Grouping them together worked perfectly. I'll have to keep this in mind for donation quilts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the green tea color. Works beautifully

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, look at what you did Liz! That green tea is just perfect to tone in with the vintage fabrics, and what a terrific binding. So cool that you are giving new life to something that might have been tossed or used as scrap.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is awesome!! I really like how you put all those hsts together.

    ReplyDelete