Thursday, 4 February 2016

WIP | All The Things...

I really expected to have accomplished so much more in January than what actually materialized...life has a way of messing with your plans, eh?

I did manage do a fair bit of sewing, in small, unfocused bursts.  So how about a little update on what's been on the go lately?



My Stash Bee Hive-mate, Katrin, has put out a request for Polaroid Blocks in order to make a quilt for a brave five-year old who is currently battling a rare form of cancer.  I've made a few polaroids (and discovered that my stash is pretty weak in the novelty print arena), and just need to add a cheery yellow background and get them in the mail.  If you want to help out, you can learn how on Katrin's blog, Pupp Ilalla.



Speaking of the Stash Bee, I made this Star Block for our January Queen Bee. It was fun to make and nice and simple for easing into my first Bee experience.  February's Queen has us making Orange Peel blocks, which are way out of my comfort zone, but I'm so excited to try something new.

I also did some non-sewing creative stuff...  I took up Calligraphy (anyone receiving mail from me can expect the envelope to have a barely legible address on it!), and I knit a toque, which is also the first finish from my 2016 Finish Along Q1 list.  



Lastly, I pieced together the blocks for my version of the Midnight Mystery Quilt and now have a completed quilt top.  Next I need to figure out how to quilt it!



Well, there you have a little glimpse of what I've been up to in 2016.  I'm linking up with Freshly Pieced for WIP Wednesday.  Many, many thanks to Lee for all her hard work in hosting the link-up!  WIP Wednesday will be taking a two month hiatus after this week, so I encourage you to pop over, check out some links and send Lee a note of thanks for supporting the community for all these years.

Happy Thursday!
--Liz

8 comments:

  1. Oh, I really like how your mystery quilt came together - the fabric placements are lovely! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your mystery quilt came out lovely. A nice bold pattern is created with the dark background.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also love your Midnight Mystery, and I love the prints you used in the polaroids. I still have work to do on both of these projects. The orange peel blocks are out of my comfort zone as well but if I can do a reasonable job I may share the technique with the Toronto Modern guild.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful quilt top!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm sad I missed WIP Wednesday last week! Oh Liz, your mystery is GORGEOUS! I also love your toque. Have wanted to knit one for Brady, my grandson, for some time. Love your other projects; still haven't joined in a Bee yet; looks like you're having fun.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Liz, Thank you(!) for helping out with the Polaroid Quilt project. I do appreciate it. Those are very pretty fussy cuts. Congratulations also to your first finishes of 2016. As for the Orange Peel, it comes together very fast. The only problem I had, was assembling the four components into the finished block. Because of the interfacing you have about four layers on each side and feeding the bulk under the footer while sewing a reasonable straight line was a bit difficult. It might be worth using a stronger needle for that. Good luck with the peel. See you over at Stash Bee. =)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great projects and progress! : )

    ReplyDelete
  8. You have accomplished lots. I love your Midnight Mystery quilt.

    ReplyDelete