Wednesday, 28 October 2015

Blogger's Quilt Festival | Marsala

It's that time again!  Twice a year (coinciding with Quilt Market) Amy at Amy's Creative Side hosts the Blogger's Quilt Festival.  Thanks Amy!  If you're visiting via the festival, welcome and thanks for stopping by!

This time around, I'm submitting my newly completed Marsala quilt in the hand-quilted category.
  

I designed this quilt featuring an oversized (30" square) Young Man's Fancy block as the focal point, with HSTs radiating and floating outward.  The colour palette is inspired by Pantone's 2015 colour of the year - Marsala.  Marsala lends itself to traditional elements like the Young Man's Fancy block, but I chose to freshen it up by introducing lots of negative space.  Which, if you look closely isn't entirely white.  I broke up the background with a super-pale greeny-grayish-blue solid as a complement to the Marsala and other peachy/coral hues.  The quilt was bound in the same pale blue.  From the beginning, the fabric pull has reminded me of a crisp autumn morning.


So, about that hand-quilting.  I have to confess that my original intention was never to hand-quilt this baby.  My plan all along was to finish it quickly with straight-line quilting, list on Etsy and move on.  I even machine quilted a 9"W section before I decided that I just wasn't feeling it.  So I ripped out all that machine stitching, which was painful!  


I recreated my original straight-line quilting plan, but added diagonal lines along the HST seams, and offset by an inch on either side of the diagonals.  I really love the texture this created, plus following the random HST placement resulted in a beautiful asymmetry to the quilting motif, which also supports the asymmetry of the piecing. 


I'm so glad I abandoned my original quilting plan and hand quilted instead. I'm much happier with this result.  And there's something so joyful and meditative about hand-quilting - at least for me anyways. 

I hope you're enjoying the Blogger's Quilt Festival! It really is a treat to see so many talented people sharing their best work!

Enjoy!
--Liz   

P.S. This is also my first finish for the 2015 Finish Along - Quarter 4

12 comments:

  1. Really pretty. I love the colors and the design. The quilting is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. First of all, congratulations on finishing your Marsala quilt! I remember the quilting did seem to have you thinking for a bit. I love how it turned out, and I hope you enjoy the festival. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous quilt. the hand quilting is awesome

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a wonderful play of colors! I really enjoy seeing that red (Garden Party) fabric in someone else's quilt...one of my all-time fave collections :) The quilting with the design are really charming!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful quilt. I'm really inspired by the experimenting with straight line quilting that's being shared by quilty bloggers. Combining the modern look of straight lines with your lovely hand stitching gives a really nice twist. ☺

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love this quilt with its fresh take on Marsala and all its negative space. Nice work!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is really lovely! I really like your design, and your quilting just adds to it. I for one loved it when Marsala was chosen color of the year, and your take on it is terrific.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful straight line quilting and such a dramatic yet subtle design. Great Job.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Liz I love this quilt. When I first saw it I thought it must have been mistakenly entered in the hand quilting category, but then I looked closely and read your post! I love the beautiful hand quilting - the texture it gives without overwhelming your lovely fabric choices. Sometimes quilts really do seem to have a way of telling you how they want to be made.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It looks so soft and cozy! The hand quilting adds such a nice texture.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely quilt! Great choices with the quilting :)

    ReplyDelete