Friday, 18 September 2015

Finished | Glam Rock Quilt

It seems as though I've been starting new projects left and right these days, so I'm pretty pumped to actually have a finish to share this week!  



I created this quilt by cutting up some striped fabric and then sewing it back together. Since I recently shared all about the process/progress, I'll spare you those details again. Instead, today's post is chock full of pictures, it was hard to stop photographing this quilt!





The quilt is 42" x 54" and the blue, black, and white stripes are complimented by a poppy red binding. And since this quilt is destined for my soon-to-be-born niece or nephew, I couldn't resist adding a little message in the binding. 



For those of you who have used the decorative fonts/stitches on their machine, am I supposed to trim those threads on either side of the hearts? They look kind of weird right now, but I'm afraid that if I trim them they'll unravel over time. What should I do?



My favourite things about this quilt are the bold binding, and that this is a baby quilt that the kid could totally take to college one day too. 



This is my first finish, and probably only, Quarter 3 Finish from my FAL list.

I'm linking up to Crazy Mom Quilts for Finish it up Friday, come on over and check out some more quilty projects!

Happy Weekend!
--Liz 

11 comments:

  1. Oh man, Liz! This quilt turned out awesome!! Just love it!!

    Putting the recipient's name on the binding and my name and year is one of the things I have been doing on my quilts for awhile. Label without having to sew in a label :) I clip those threads. I think if you watch real close at the beginning stitch and end stitch of each letter or in this case heart, you will see that the machine does a locking stitch. You might want to just do one on a scrap and see if your machine does the same.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really love how the quilt turned out! It is going to make an awesome baby quilt and you are so right, it would look equally au home in a college dorm room. Judy's advice on the embroidery is spot on...always best to test on a scrap, but should be fine to clip.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome design! Kat @ katandcatquilts.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome design! Kat @ katandcatquilts.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a cool idea to put the name & year on the binding! Great finish!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooh Liz, love seeing this quilt's finish! Especially since I've been with you since the seeds of this baby were planted...and I don't mean your nephew/niece...I recall the score you made in your LQS sale bin! I just love how it turned out! And that binding is the bomb ;-) As for the threads in the embroidery, yep snip 'em. I've never had the embroidery unravel. Is that done on a Bernina? It looks familiar... (btw, be sure to hop over to my blog for my anniversary giveaway, which runs through to Monday suppertime).

    ReplyDelete
  7. I absolutely love this! It is so striking to look at and the colour scheme is just awesome - well done!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great quilt in every way - congrats on the finish. I've wanted to try using stitched words on a binding but haven't yet.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awesome quilt ! It is really inspiring. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Super cool! I love the way you really changed the look of the fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You have great quilts! You got a new reader :)

    ReplyDelete