Friday, 24 April 2015

Finished | Talisman

I've got a finish to share today, and I'm pretty excited about this one. Actually, I think I say that about all my finishes!  Really, what's not exciting about completing a project you've put your all into?!



This is a quilt of my own design.  I started out sketching up a few ideas (graph paper is my number one quilt design tool) and soon settled on a layout that featured colour bands and a fun play between the positive and negative space. As you can see in the sketch below, I'd originally planned to do a dark background, but ended up inverting the white and navy.  


  
It took some trial and error to figure out the best way to piece this block, so no guarantees that the cutting notes in this pic are accurate!  It's a moderately time consuming block, but at the 18"x18" finished size it doesn't take many blocks to complete a nice sized quilt.

I decided to put my FMQ skills to the test on this quilt, although I did cheat and do the longer straight lines with my walking foot.  I was heavily inspired by Longarmer and fellow Canadian Kathleen from Kathleen Quilts (@kathleenquilts).  You must check out her work, it's brilliant!  



The quilt is backed with an organic coral and white print, which contrasts nicely with the strong geometric piecing on the front.  I really wanted to bring a gold metallic element into this quilt, so it's bound it Cotton + Steel Basics "Netorious" in Mixing Bowl  The shimmer from the metallic lattice is perfect, and the minty green field colour is just a tint lighter than the Kona Celadon from the green blocks.  When I ordered the binding fabric on line, I was nervous that those two greens would clash, so I was relieved to see how beautifully everything played together.  In case you're curious, in addition to Celadon, the Kona solids used are Mustard, Creamsicle, Nectarine, Navy and White.



After much deliberation, I've decided that my favourite thing about this project is the quilting and that I pushed myself to do something that was perhaps a bit on the ambitious side.  A close second is the colour palette, which is perfect for Spring.

This completes goal #1 on my Q2 FAL list!
Linking up with Crazy Mom Quilts for Finish it Up Friday, and Sarah for TGIFF.

Happy Friday!
--Liz



12 comments:

  1. This is a fantastic original design, Liz, and a gorgeous quilt finish! It's magazine cover worthy for sure. Kudos for taking the leap and challenging yourself to stretch your FMQ skills. I know how hard it is to look at a beautifully pieced quilt top and worry that if you try anything outside your comfort zone you might "ruin it." Your FMQ looks fantastic, and in no way is a walking foot "cheating" when you are quilting on a domestic machine. If you were a long arm quilter you would have been using rulers to achieve perfect straight lines anyway, not just eyeballing it. I think your quilt is gorgeous. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your quilt and congrats on designing and making it yourself. I have a quilt in mind that I want to make for the Cancer center where my husband is currently being treaded but not sure I can get it from my mind to the fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your colour choices and quilting are fabulous! I have ideas in my head for many a quilt and you have given me much needed inspiration to get these ideas down on paper, so thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very pretty! I'm really into navy right now - collecting for my next quilt. I like the navy with the darker orange-ish - maybe nectarine? They play nicely together. Great finish!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your FMQ is beautiful! Thanks for linking up with me for TGIFF. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very very clever of you! Your design is great and I love the way you have quilted it - it is so interesting to look at.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a great design. Very southwest looking. I think it would have been even more so if you had gone with the navy for the negative space. With the white background it leans more toward modern. I'd love to know the finished measurements of the quilt. I was surprised that the individual blocks were 18x18. You FMQ is awesome. Good for you for trying new things. The quilting really compliments the design of the piecing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congrats on the beautiful finish! The quilting is gorgeous, it really compliments the pattern. I love it! I really like the geometric pattern, and the color scheme you chose!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very nice pattern and color. This is a great finish.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It is a beautiful quilt, the pattern is so bold and the quilting is fantastic. Great finish!
    I'm helping Adrianne out with the FAL, so I am also to say this next part: I'm visiting as member of the official 2015 Finish Along Cheerleading Squad.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I wish I had that unilateral enthusiasm about all my finishes. Congrats on getting this one done - the design is so great and the quilting adds tons! I only got one of my four goals done but that's better than striking out completely. Happy Stitching.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is really lovely. Not only the beautiful quilting but the colours and design as well. Do you mark your designs when you fmq to get it so perfect?

    ReplyDelete