Friday, 3 April 2015

Finished | Hexie and I Know It

It feels like this post is long over due, and I'm so jazzed to finally share this finish!  I finished this one back in January but have only now gotten around to photographing it.  Winter just doesn't agree with picture taking around here.



This was a long term project that I began on Labour Day weekend back in 2013, so it felt great to finish it.  You can check out progress posts herehere and here if you're interested in the journey.

Each of the coloured diamonds is made up of various scraps from past projects, and a collection of fat quarters purchased over time that I just had to have - it was great to finally cut into some of them and put them to use.  The white borders are made up of a variety of hues of white/off-white solids and tone on tone white prints.  This mixture of whites, combined with the different values in the coloured hexies give the diamonds a sort of shimmery, sparkly effect.  



The design is anchored with a deep teal diamond grid.  It's bound in the same teal solid and backed with Anna Maria Horner's Tangle in Aqua from her Dowry collection, which complements the quilt beautifully.  This is the first quilt I've ever labeled, and I think I need to get into this habit for future projects.



Hexie and I Know It is made up of 697 hand pieced hexies, which I then hand-quilted using a big stitches and a chunky-ish 12 wt thread.  I had forgotten how much I adore hand quilting, working on this was such a joy!

This quilt finished at roughly 72" x 90" which is a gloriously cozy size for wrapping up in and binge-watching Downton Abbey (or any British period drama, for that matter, I'm hooked on them all!).  My favourite thing about this quilt is the hand work - I fell in love with english paper piecing and rekindled my love of hand-quilting.




I'm linking up one last finish to the Finish Along this quarter over at On the Windy Side.  I've really appreciated the extra motivation this quarter - and so have lots of other quilters - there are well over 300 finishes linked up, and counting!  Well done everyone!

Happy Good Friday!
--Liz


2 comments:

  1. Yay! It looks fantastic! I love the teal as the background with all of the different colored diamonds, so pretty. I also really like the fabric you used for backing. Well done on hand quilting the whole thing too, it turned out beautifully

    ReplyDelete