Friday, 12 September 2014

Finished | Old Salt



Ahoy!  I'm pleased to announce that I finished my new nephew's quilt just in the nick of time.  

Don't the colours and motifs of this quilt remind you of the ocean?  I can't help but imagine seafaring stories of old ships, brave mariners and daring adventures on stormy seas.  Think Captain Jim - the beloved lighthouse keeper and teller of tales from Anne's House of Dreams (from the Anne of Green Gables series, which I now feel compelled to re-read yet again).  I can almost taste the briny ocean breeze.


I had a lot of fun creating this quilt.  I picked a few block styles and sewed them up in varying sizes and colours then placed them on the design wall, fiddled with the layout for a while then began to fill in the gaps with additional pieced elements and blocks of fabric.  I tried to stick to 3" modules (so finished block sizes of 6", 9", 12" etc) in order to keep the layout somewhat organized, but I did have one quilt-math issue that sort of messed with that plan.  This is what borders are for, people. The improv style was liberating, with just enough structure to satisfy my OCD self. 

The nautical vibe of this quilt was inspired by the Whale print of the Hearty Good Wishes Collection (by Moda), pictured below at the top right of the image.  This fabric is cute without being cutesy.



Simple, straight-line quilting in white thread finished this quilt off quite nicely.  I spaced the lines about an inch apart, although if you look closely at this detail shot you'll see that at one point I got distracted and used the edge of the presser foot as a guide instead of my actual guide.  I sort of like it though, and the location just happens to follow the "rule of thirds" so there was no ripping out this mistake.  phew.

This quilt finished at 42" x 51".  My favourite things about this quilt are:

  • The Whale fabric
  • Working in an improvisational fashion
  • the recipient!  My nephew, Marshall, was born on September 4!  Love that kid!
Happy Friday!
--Liz

Linking up with Crazy Mom Quilts and TGIFF!

7 comments:

  1. I'm liking more and more quilts like this with blocks of disparate sizes. He's going to love it - especially the red and dark blocks which they can see at a very early age.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how you've blended very traditional blocks with more contemporary designs.... that and the mustard colored fabrics! Very awesome finish!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the colorway you used and all of the different blocks, beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that quilt. Love that you did it improv style. Very cool.
    .

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the different sized blocks, and the color palette you used! I like that it's a ocean themed quilt, without making me think of sand and palm trees. This is a perfect baby (or grown up) boy quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a cool colour palette and quilt, Liz! I love your design too. So glad you linked up to TGIFF!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I will say it again, I LOVE THIS!

    ReplyDelete